Boswyck Farms seeks volunteers at all levels. Volunteering is a great way to gain hands-on hydroponic knowledge. Whether you can commit for a day or a year, we’re happy to have you!
Volunteer positions fall under three major categories:
- Design and construction assistance. Help us make systems for our clients!
- Crop management. Help plant seeds, track growth, and harvest delicious vegetables.
- Event support. Help us advocate for urban farming and hydroponics at public appearances!
Please read the following volunteer policy carefully before coming to work at Boswyck Farms. This policy was designed to keep you safe, and to prepare you for the work that we do.
In order to volunteer with Boswyck Farms you must:
- be at least 14 years old (Please note: all volunteers under 18 years of age require a signed parental permission slip);
- be able to work unsupervised;
- be able to perform the duties required of the volunteer role;
- complete our Volunteer Sign-up Form prior to commencing any work at the farm;
The information requested is for Boswyck Farms’ internal use only, and will be treated in a confidential manner.
- understand and follow the content of this policy.
Please come suitably dressed for potentially messy, hands-on work. You may be working indoors or outdoors, so come prepared for the weather. If you have steel-toed boots, we recommend that you wear them. Otherwise, wear sturdy, closed-toe footwear with good traction. A hat, sunscreen, and a water bottle are also recommended during warmer weather.
Safety is of the utmost importance to us. We require volunteers to conduct themselves in a manner that promotes safety for themselves and others. Volunteers should be sure to:
- ask for an orientation on any tools, equipment, materials or chemicals they have not previously worked with and exercise care with handling anything unfamiliar.
- properly turn off tools (i.e.; turn off power switch prior to unplugging, etc.).
- return tools to their designated storage area when they are not being utilized.
- clean up their work areas immediately, following proper cleaning precautions.
- rinse all cleaning supplies and equipment and return them to their appropriate storage locations (or discard as necessary).
- notify a staff member immediately if you feel uncomfortable working on certain tasks or with particular tools.
- immediately report any injury incurred while volunteering to a Boswyck Farms staff member. Please note that volunteer injuries are not covered under the Boswyck Farms’ insurance policy.